Mal Bellairs’ Christmas Show is a tradition for many Chicagoans, now including former Chicagoans all over the place. As Mal describes in the 1998 airing of his show, he started the show in 1955 at WBBM. Later, he continued the show at WIVS, his station in Crystal Lake. Mal describes the music here as the real music of Christmas. The tradition can now continue on the internet.
Merry Christmas! (Scroll down for links to the show from other years.)
Here are some of the album covers from the LPs Mal used.
We have added different years to our collection of Christmas shows:
- WBBM — 1955 & 1967
- The tradition of the Christmas show started at WBBM in 1955. This is the show after a dozen years.
- Click here to hear earlier versions recordings from 1955 and 1964.
- ( The 1955 tape is not the complete Christmas show.)
- WIVS — 1975 & 1977
- The show continued when Mal and Jo moved to Woodstock. These are recordings at WIVS/WXRD in Crystal Lake on December 21, 1975 and again on December 18, 1977. (We do not have tapes from every year though Mal did produce it every year.)
- The 1998 show was done after Mal had been retired for a number of years. But Christmas was the time for him to bring you his show one more time.
1998 – The Last Show
We have created a separate track for each of the 72 songs to make it easier for you to recognize and select your favorite carols.